Glass Art, Gold and Diamond Jewelry, and Sterling Silver Lead Upcoming Auction from Akiba Antiques
Akiba Antiques will bring over 625 lots to auction this November, especially highlighting vintage gold and diamond jewelry and sterling silver pieces.
Leading the catalog is an 18-karat gold ram’s head necklace from Zolotas, a Greek jewelry house that launched in 1895. The available necklace was crafted in the 20th century and is centered around the curled horns of a ram ($10,000 – $15,000). A matching gold bracelet is also included in the lot. These jewelry pieces were designed to be worn as a pair, a Zolotas company tradition.
Gold and diamond jewelry collectors can also consider an antique owl pin ($2,000 – $6,000). A tiger’s eye gemstone forms the owl’s body and is surrounded by old miner-cut diamonds.
An 18-karat gold mesh purse from early 20th-century France will be available as well ($12,000 – $18,000). Inspired by medieval-style chainmail, gold mesh accessories came into vogue during the 1920s with the rise of flapper dresses and mass jewelry production. This purse can be closed using a sapphire clasp and a hinged opening. Those looking to accessorize with sterling silver will find several possibilities in this auction, including a 1970s figural choker with a sun-shaped pendant and a vintage Mexican Modernist necklace (both $100 – $300).
Several diamond jewelry pieces are also highlighted:
* Star sapphire, oval-cut diamond, and platinum ring ($10,000 – $15,000)
* “Lucinda” emerald-cut diamond and yellow gold wedding band from Tiffany & Co. ($3,000 – $5,000)
* Reverse-set salt-and-pepper diamond and white gold ring from the 20th century ($2,000 – $4,000)
* Platinum, aquamarine, and diamond brooch from the Art Deco era ($1,200 – $1,800)
* Eight-strand beaded coral necklace with a sterling silver clasp ($200 – $400)
Beyond jewelry, the auction will bring an extensive selection of glass art. Several pieces from Murano artisan Danilo Zanella are particularly highlighted. Often considered a modern master, Zanella has updated traditional techniques with modern designs. Among his available works is a glass toucan piece in shades of lime green, burgundy red, and bright yellow ($200 – $800). The bird rests on a crystal base. Additional glass art pieces include works by Andrea Zanetti and John Lotton.
A glass table lamp from E. Thomasson is notable for its distinct Art Nouveau style. A stained glass shade depicts a field of flowers. A sculpted nude woman is draped above the shade and is shown asleep. The lamp—which is still in working order—will be offered with an estimate of $1,500 to $3,000.
Other key lots:
* Yves Cass’ oil painting showing two birds in flight against a dark blue background ($6,000 – $12,000)
* Yule marble abstract sculpture by Eric Johnson ($2,000 – $4,000)
* Antique ceramic urn pair in purple, Bohemian style ($1,000 – $3,000)
Live bidding will start at 1:00 PM EST on November 17th, 2020. Interested collectors can visit Bidsquare for more information.
- Danilo Zanella
- Brooches & Pins
- Ceramics, Bowls & Glass
- Couture & Textiles
- Decorative Arts
- Lamps, Lighting & Candlesticks
- Necklaces & Pendants
- Sculptures and Carvings
- Silver & Vertu
- Women's Clothing & Accessories
Meteorites at Auction: A Category Spotlight
How much do meteorites sell for at auction? And how often are they made available? Sericho,...
New Record for a Print by Louis Lozowick at $81k in Old Master Through Modern Sale at Swann
Sale Brings $2M OLD MASTER THROUGH MODERN PRINTS Sale 2550; November 12, 2020 Sale total: $2,025,420...