Collection of Antique Weathervanes Blow into Bonhams L.A.
For equestrian champion Luann Beach, her passion for horses did not stop at riding. She may have successfully competed in a variety of English and Western disciplines – having been trained by several legendary horse champions – but out of the saddle her interest took a more academic turn. Fascinated by the iconography of horses and their representation throughout history, Beach amassed an impressive collection of horse memorabilia. This included a large collection of horse-themed weathervanes, which will be offered in Bonhams' Home & Interiors sale on January 26 in Los Angeles.
Bonhams Fine & Decorative Arts Specialist, Anna Hicks, commented: "For centuries weathervanes served as a simple means of detecting windspeed and direction, but by the 19th and 20th centuries they took on more of a decorative function – and they have since become a symbol of Americana collecting. Acquired over the past 20 years, Beach's collection demonstrates not only the talent of the American folk artisans, but also the vital role of the horse in 19th century American life."
Other sale highlights include:
• An important Chippendale carved cherry and walnut block front slant lid desk attributed to the workshop of John Shearer, Martinsburg, VA, early 19th Century. Estimate: $40,000 - 60,000.
• A fine federal inlaid tall case clock, Simon Willard, early 19th Century. Estimate: $15,000 - 25,000.
• An American carved partial gilt and ebonized walnut and maple extra grade desk, Wooton Desk Manufacturing Company, Indianapolis, IN, second half 19th century. Estimate: $6,000 - 8,000.
• An American sterling silver flatware service by Tiffany & Co., New York, NY, 1907-1947. Estimate: $2,000 - 3,000.
• A molded copper prancing horse and rider weathervane, late 19th/early 20th Century.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA.- Turner Auctions + Appraisals is very pleased to present The Cliff House Collection of...
The Collection of Bud & Judy Newman, New Hope, Pennsylvania at Pook & Pook, Inc. with Noel Barrett, Downingtown, PA
There are two types of collectors. Many come to the hobby later in life, often by...
Our April 15, 2021 auction of Printed & Manuscript Americana opens with a noteworthy collection of...