Collection of Antique Weathervanes Blow into Bonhams L.A.
Home & Interiors26 Jan 2021Los AngelesA FINE MOLDED GILT COOPER HORSE JUMPING THROUGHOUT HOOP WEATHERVANEAttributed to A. L. Jewel & Co., Waltham, MA, third quarter 19th century
For equestrian champion Luann Beach, her passion for horses did not stop at riding. She may have successfully competed in a variety of English and Western disciplines – having been trained by several legendary horse champions – but out of the saddle her interest took a more academic turn. Fascinated by the iconography of horses and their representation throughout history, Beach amassed an impressive collection of horse memorabilia. This included a large collection of horse-themed weathervanes, which will be offered in Bonhams' Home & Interiors sale on January 26 in Los Angeles.
Bonhams Fine & Decorative Arts Specialist, Anna Hicks, commented: "For centuries weathervanes served as a simple means of detecting windspeed and direction, but by the 19th and 20th centuries they took on more of a decorative function – and they have since become a symbol of Americana collecting. Acquired over the past 20 years, Beach's collection demonstrates not only the talent of the American folk artisans, but also the vital role of the horse in 19th century American life."
Other sale highlights include:
• An important Chippendale carved cherry and walnut block front slant lid desk attributed to the workshop of John Shearer, Martinsburg, VA, early 19th Century. Estimate: $40,000 - 60,000.
• A fine federal inlaid tall case clock, Simon Willard, early 19th Century. Estimate: $15,000 - 25,000.
• An American carved partial gilt and ebonized walnut and maple extra grade desk, Wooton Desk Manufacturing Company, Indianapolis, IN, second half 19th century. Estimate: $6,000 - 8,000.
• An American sterling silver flatware service by Tiffany & Co., New York, NY, 1907-1947. Estimate: $2,000 - 3,000.
• A molded copper prancing horse and rider weathervane, late 19th/early 20th Century.
- Anna HicksSpecialistLos Angeles, United StatesTel: +1 323 436 5463 [email protected]
Bill Graham, Family Dog, Grateful Dead posters & more go up for bid at Turner Auctions + Appraisals
SAN FRANCISCO, CA.- Turner Auctions + Appraisals will present the sale of vintage posters from Bill Graham,...
Freeman's American Furniture, Folk and Decorative Arts Auctions Demonstrates Successes in American Material
PHILADELPHIA, PA—Freeman’s is pleased to announce the results of its April 27 American Furniture, Folk and Decorative Arts auction,...
Examining Edward Gorey’s Market
Edward Gorey is having a moment. Gorey has had many of these over the years—he was...