Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous
Iconic Beverly Hills Interior Offered at Bonhams Modern | Art Sale
Los Angeles – Bonhams Modern Design I Art Live Behind-Closed-Doors sale, which runs in two parts on May 28 and June 4, will feature pieces from an iconic Beverly Hills interior. These include three works by the street artist RETNA, Untitled, estimated at $35,000 - 45,000, Untitled (Triptych), estimated at $60,000 - 80,000, and Untitled (Dripping Composition), estimated at $18,000 - 25,000.
Known for his unique typography and letterforms, RETNA has gained a dedicated celebrity following for his distinctive calligraphic painting inspired by graffiti art. Having joined the Los Angeles mural scene as a teenager, Marquis Lewis, or RETNA as he became known, developed his text-based signature style by painting with a brush in addition to a spray can. This allowed him to create highly detailed line works, often taking inspiration from Egyptian hieroglyphics and Arabic lettering. His works have been exhibited in major galleries across the world, and even featured on the cover of Justin Bieber's 2015 album Purpose.
Other interior highlights include a plethora of LA high style furnishings, featuring custom-made, modernist, and contemporary pieces. These include a pair of Paul Evans cityscape settees, which have an estimate of $7,000-9,000. Evans was noted for his part in the American craft Movement of the 1970s, and for his work with the influential American manufacturer Directional Furniture. Often adding his actual signature to his signature pieces, one settee is stamped and signed 'AN ORIGINAL Paul Evans'.
Director of Bonhams Modern Decorative Art + Design department in LA, Jason Stein, commented: "For this sale, we are thrilled to have the opportunity to offer a selection of iconic pieces and showcase custom-made items created for high-end residential projects, by notable interior designers such as T.H Robsjohn-Gibbings, and William Haines."
Other sale highlights include:
• Dale Chihuly (Born 1941), Clear and Gold Chandelier, 2000. Estimate: $100,000 - 150,000.
• Stephen de Staebler (1933-2011), Winged Figure Pointing. Estimate: $40,000 - 60,000.
• William C.Morris (Born 1957), Canopic Jar (Giant Eland), 2004. Estimate: $40,000 - 60,000.
• Bertil Vallien (Born 1938), Resting Head, fourth quarter 20th century for Kosta Boda, Estimate: $3,000 - 5,000.
• Pair of Open Armchairs, circa 2007. Estimate: $3,000 - 5,000.
• Custom Pair of Lounge Chairs, circa 2007. Estimate: $2,500 - 3,500.
• Pier Giacomo and Achille Castiglioni (1913-1968), Pair of Arco Floor Lamps, designed 1962. Estimate: $1,200 - 1,800.
NANTUCKET, MA. NOV. 16, 2020 – On a paradise island that’s among the most expensive zip...
One’s handwriting is unique unto oneself. For some, the style can remain consistent throughout the years....
Virtual Americana Trivia Game Created by Chris Barber, Deputy Director of American Furniture & Decorative Arts...