Give ‘Em The Ol’ Razzle Dazzle
The Mitzi Gaynor Collection at Bonhams
When Mitzi Gaynor, in the character of that cockeyed optimist Nellie Forbush, launched into I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair in the 1958 screen adaptation of Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific, she won the hearts of cinemagoers the world over, and cemented her reputation as a major international movie star. The much-loved actress, singer and dancer is also celebrated for her many stage shows and the Mitzi... television specials which ran throughout the late 1960s and 1970s. A selection of her memorable and arresting costumes from stage and small screen comes to auction in Bonhams' Razzle-Dazzle! Costumes and Couture from the Mitzi Gaynor Collection, an online sale that runs from 27 May – 10 June. A portion of the proceeds from the sale will benefit The Actors Fund.
Mitzi Gaynor is available for interviews.
Sale highlights include:
• An Emmy award®-winning costume worn by Mitzi Gaynor on Mitzi...Roarin' in the 20's. This lively little number, complete with mock purse and jazzy hat, was designed by Bob Mackie and worn by Mitzi in the opening sequence of the 1976 CBS show. Estimate: $600-800.
• A Mitzi Gaynor red gown worn on Mitzi... What's Hot, What's Not, designed by Bob Mackie. A beautiful but conservative gown becomes instantly sensual in the opening sequence of this variety special in which Mitzi unzips the top zipper, followed by the leg zipper, and exclaims, "That's hot!" Estimate: $500-700.
• A silver metallic gown designed by Robert Carlton and worn by Mitzi in her 1961-62 stage performances. Estimate: $600-800
• A fully beaded stage worn mini-dress designed by Bob Mackie. This sensual costume accentuated those famous Gaynor gams when worn by Mitzi in her 1987-88 stage shows. Estimate $600-800.
• A Mitzi Gaynor gown worn on Mitzi...A Tribute to the American Housewife, designed by Bob Mackie. This attractive multi-piece gown was worn by Mitzi in a musical comedy sketch titled based on Stephen Sondheim's song, "The Little Things You Do Together" (from Company) with guest stars Jerry Orbach, Suzanne Pleshette, Jane Withers, Ted Knight, and Cliff Norton. Estimate: $400-600.
MITZI GAYNOR NOTED: "Thanks to the audiences who've brought me so much happiness, I've been privileged to do something I truly love for all of my life. These treasures from my archive, and my closet, have been good friends along the way. It makes me very happy to know that they'll be enjoyed again, and that they'll also help an organization that's providing essential support during these challenging times — The Actors Fund."
Bonhams' Director of Entertainment Memorabilia, Catherine Williamson, said: "Mitzi Gaynor is a true legend of stage and screen and remains one of America's most popular performers. Throughout her long and glittering career, she always understood the huge importance of costume to the success of her shows as the wonderful and sometimes astonishing pieces in this sale demonstrates."
CLEARWATER, Fla. – On January 16, Blackwell will be offering the estate Hummel collection of Donald Deeks. Purported to be...
Featuring the Dick McDonough Collection of Golf Illustration This sale brightens up January with a collection...
Here are some top lots in the categories of fine art, jewelry, watches, Asian art, and...